creativity – do you have it in you?
Events are a left brain right brain thing. Left brain ? think methodical approach, think logistics, think planning.? All that is very well, but without right brain input events would be pretty dull.? Which is why it?s an event manager?s job to marry the two.
Many of you who manage events on top of your day job probably think you?re left brainiacs.? You manage intricate schedules, you change intricate schedules with no notice, you?re a logistics lover.? But creativity, you might not believe you?ve got it in you.
Don?t be daunted by a brief from on high requesting creativity, because once you?ve simplified it (and we?ll help you on that) you give yourself a much better opportunity to achieve it.? So here we go:
- No idea is a bad idea. Get a big piece of paper / flipchart / phone out & write down everything you can think of to do with that subject / theme / message.? Even better, get a late-night take-away and a bottle of wine and get your colleagues or friends in on the action.? (Believe it or not, that?s where we started on a hospitality package for 2,500 VIP corporate guests attending a Madonna concert which I think I can honestly say is the best event I?ve ever done).
- Have points of inspiration. ?Think about the films of the year, exhibitions, fashion, technology trends, venues ? all of these will give you inspiration.
- What do you need to achieve? Step back into planner?s paradise ? this is left brain stuff and hopefully you will already have clear objectives communicated to you from the event stakeholders.
- When you put all those ?out there? creative ideas next to your objectives you can see clearly which ones marry and which don?t.? Filter all your ideas to form a workable concept in line with objectives.
- Go a stage further in the filtering process and prioritise those objectives and creative concepts, boiling them down to a maximum of 3. You need your creative concepts to sit seamlessly with the objectives, budget, brief and profile of the event.
- You can?t please everyone all of the time. ?As long as the objectives are the focus and are communicated clearly through your creative concepts, you have done your job.? You can sit back and relax.
We run consultancy sessions on everything from streamlining logistics to demystifying the myth of creativity.? Want to book??You can call Kate on 07815 157899 or email firstname.lastname@example.org